I designed this cute word cloud in Wordle to put on my class website. You choose the words you want to use, and the words that you list more frequently appear bigger in the word cloud. You can also just copy and paste a website and Wordle will choose the words from there. It's totally free to create one, but I think the site is designed for you to either print the word cloud or share it on their website. I had to save mine as a pdf which kind of limits how I can use it. Oh well, it's cute!
As I was designing this one, I started to think of the different ways I could use word clouds in the classroom. Here are some of my ideas so far:
- Have students create a word cloud of character traits about a character we are studying.
- Create one using the week's vocabulary words
- Create one for each mode of writing
- Create one to put at each learning center that includes the activities that students may choose to complete at that center
- A first week of school activity-- Have students use a word cloud to describe themselves, including any hobbies, interests they might have. You could even cover the name and have the class guess whose word cloud it is. I think this would make a cute display in the hallway, don't you?
I'm not sure how much I'll be able to use this tool with our one lone student computer, but luckily we have an amazing computer lab teacher at our school who would probably let the students use this site during their computer lab time. On second thought, this site might be blocked at school, so we'll see.
I am amazed daily at how many free technology apps are available to teachers. I will continue to share things that I find, and I would love to hear about any of your new discoveries!