Taking Risks

Stuart Little is sick with an ear infection, so we have decided that today is going to be a lazy, lay on the couch and watch Real Housewives kind of day. Well actually I decided that, but he definitely seems to agree.

Fifth grade land has been a very happy place lately. I still have a sugar hangover from all of the Halloween treats I consumed yesterday. My awesome coworker Jennifer Crumpton did a Halloween science demonstration for our kiddos that was AMAZING. She made slime, "worms", and other various yucky, cool, halloween-y things. For the grand finale, she actually blew up a pumpkin. Of course I couldn't top this, so I spent the day being a crowd-control nazi. Fine by me!

I have a student observer coming to my class these next few weeks, and I want to show her the possibilities there are in teaching elementary students. I have many ideas I want to implement these next few weeks, so hopefully I can help someone else see how fun and rewarding working with these funny little people can be. I am finally going to try and start using my homemade interactive whiteboard this week, which I am excited about. My awesome husband set this up for me over the summer, and something has kept me from using it so far. I guess I'm scared it's not going to work right, and I won't appear like the totally together professional that I strive to appear to be at school. It's good to take risks, right? I ask my students to take risks on a daily basis, so I have to do the same.

I am so easily intimidated by other people and what they're doing, that I'm sometimes wary to go out on a limb and try something new. I have always been like that. Looking around to make sure that I'm not standing out or different in any way. And for what? The constant comparing has to stop. I owe it to my students (and myself) to be the person God intended me to be, flaws and all. After all, why would I want to be a second-rate version of someone else, when I could be a new and improved version of myself?

Sorry, but I'm just having a philosophical moment. I'll keep you posted on the interactive whiteboard project. Is anyone else thinking of trying something new in the classroom that they're not sure about?

No comments