January 31, 2012

Book Review of Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix

I just finished reading Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix with my class, and I thought I would share my thoughts on it in case any of you out there are interested in reading it with your kiddos. I had never read any books by Haddix before, and I enjoyed her style of writing. That being said, I think this book (and the other books in this series) may be better for kids to enjoy on their own rather than as a read aloud.

Found begins when a seemingly deserted plane appears out of nowhere at the airport one day. You then find out that the plane's only passengers are babies. Fast forward to thirteen years later, and you are introduced to Jonah, a thirteen year old adopted boy. The story goes on to follow the adventures of Jonah, his sister Katherine, and his friend Chip as they try to figure out the mystery of who they are and where they came from.

The first few chapters are incredibly exciting, and could be a great tool to use when talking about writing grabber leads for narratives. The storyline was a little complex for many of my students as the book went on. The main issue I have with this book is that little to nothing is resolved at the end. You have to read the sequel for any type of payoff, which is a personal little pet peeve of mine.

Overall, I would recommend this book for fifth graders. There was no bad language or racy material which is a welcome change from most young adult novels. My only criticisms are that the style of writing is better suited for silent reading, and the ending was (in my opinion) lacking.

What read alouds are you doing with your class this year? I would love to hear any recommendations!




9 comments:

Heather said...

I tagged you! Come check out my blog so you can see the rules and how it works. Thanks for all that you blog!
~Heather
http://looseshoelaces.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Tag, you're it.

http://teaching-tweens.blogspot.com/2012/02/tagged.html

Julie said...

Right now I'm reading "Eleven Birthdays" by Wendy Mass. It's about two 5th grade friends who share the same birthday and keep repeating the day over and over. It's a slow start as a read aloud, but they love it!

You might also try "Among the Hidden" by Margaret Peterson Haddix. Also the start to a series, but has a resolution. Dystopian society where third children are not allowed. Protagonist is a third child.

Anything by Gordon Korman is also a hit with my class.

NC said...

I agree that Found is better to be read on your own but last year after I read it, the kids did go and read the rest of the series that had been out.

Running out of Time by Haddix is a great book that the students really like.

Linda Dunnavant said...

Julie and NC,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions! I am always looking for new books to share with my fifth graders!

Katie Lyon said...

Great review! I've wanted to check this book out for awhile. I think I will for sure now.

I have chosen your blog to receive the Liebster Award. Head on over to my blog for more information. :-)

Katie Lyon

Mrs. Lyon's Blog - Teachers: The Art of Possibility

Linda Dunnavant said...

Thanks Katie! I'm heading over there right now!

Jena-T Design said...

I read Among the Hidden to my 5th graders this fall. Now they can't get enough of The Shadow Children series. One student got the whole series and finished them all. He loves to ask me where I am in the series everyday. I just finished book 5 and have book 6 ready and waiting. This is the first time I've read Haddix and I too love her writing style. She's also written book 10 of the 39 Clues series. My students are all eager to read those books now that they have a favorite author to get to in it.

Sylvia said...

A favourite in my room was Gregor the Overlander. We're also reading The Girl Who Owned a City right now and it's a hit, too.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...